5 Sins Of Gov Emmanuel Against Akpabio
By Umoh-Obong Kingsley |
Since the news broke about Sen Godswill Akpabio quitting the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the All Progressives Congress (APC), many questions had been on the lips of Akwa Ibom people in particular and Nigerians at large as to what transpired such decision.
The would-have-been Senate President formally defected from PDP to APC at a mega rally held at the Ikot Ekpene Township Stadium on Wednesday.
Giving reasons for his defection, the former Senate Minority Leader alleged that he decided to join the APC because he is a nationalist who believes everybody should support to bring peace to the nation in a time like this in order to stop the killings and ensure employment for our teeming youths.
The former governor failed to comment on his feud with his successor, Governor Udom Emmanuel, whom he, until his recent developments, vowed to lend his support till 2023.
Revelations from reliable sources have unravelled factors that led to Akpabio’s new romance with his enemies in the opposition party in the state.
While many believe that these reasons are greedy and self-serving, others say the cord between Udom and his predecessor should have been severed since.
Below are few of the many reasons…
1. Akpabio withdrew his support for Gov Emmanuel following the refusal to pick his wife, Mrs Ekaette Unoma Akpabio, as running mate in the 2019 general elections. Hence his defection to serve as punishment in order to stop the second term bid of the Governor.
Little wonder he hurriedly announced his wife as the ‘Mother of APC in Akwa Ibom State’ during his defection rally.
2. Governor Emmanuel declined acting to Akpabio’s demand to sack the Commissioner for Housing and Special Duties, Hon. Akan Okon, together with Akparawa Ephraim Inyangeyen of the Ministry of Works.
3. Sen. Akpabio wanted his brother, Prince Ibanga Akpabio, to be appointed Secretary to the State Government after Sir Etekamba Umoren’s exit. Gov Emmanuel’s refusal to perfect the plan earned him more hatred from the Akpabios.
4. Governor Udom’s refusal to mobilize the State House of Assembly to impeach the Speaker, Rt. Hon. (Barr.) Onofiok Luke, became one of his sins against Akpabio.
5. Akpabio believes the Ibom Science Park is a project former Governor Obong Victor Attah used in siphoning money, and must remain as his shame, but Governor Emmanuel’s desire to reconstruct it placed him in Akpabio’s black list.
More details will unfold…