Udom Emmanuel: Adding Value To Education
No sitting Governor, in recent years, has paid so much attention and channelled so many resources to the educational sector like Akwa Ibom State Governor, Deacon Udom Gabriel Emmanuel. This is because his administration understands the value that education plays in the society and the fact that without a well-educated workforce, there is no meaningful development.
On this basis, the state government has invested massively in both primary, secondary and post-primary education of its citizenry, ensuring all Akwa Ibom children have access to free and qualitative education from the primary level to the senior secondary level.
The following are some of the unique achievements of this administration in the area of education in the last three years:
- Free and compulsory basic education in public schools.
- Recruitment of 4761 quality teachers.
- Take-over of 7 community secondary schools and transformation into model and modern schools equipped with modern amenities.
- Construction and Renovation of 400 school blocks.
- 700 intervention projects and actions in schools
- Strategic interventions in tertiary institutions – roads, equipment, academic blocks, etc.
- Support for the establishment of Nigerians Navy School in Oruk Anam and Army School in Etinan.
- Procurement and distribution of free exercise books, textbooks and other educational materials, to public and private schools in key subjects like Mathematics, English Language and the Sciences.
- Subventions to public primary & secondary schools. Subvention is paid at N100 per pupil and N300 per student, and paid to all school Heads in Akwa Ibom Public Primary/Secondary schools.
- Payment of Examination fees- WAEC, NABTEB for students in all Public Secondary Schools, in the State. Over N600 million WAEC fees for indigenes in public secondary schools annually.
- Upgrading of Akwa Ibom state college of Arts & Science, Nung Ukim, Ikono to College of Science and Technology.
- Prompt payment of salaries/emoluments of Teachers including the release of promotion to teachers.
- Donation of laptops/funds for internet connection for pupils/students/schools for students who recited the Dakkada creed during the 1st October celebration, 2015 celebrations.
- Distribution of laptops to Law school students.
- Provision of grants and laptops to Medical Students.
- Sponsorship of indigenes for specialized courses overseas. Recently 30 of the students graduated in India in Post Graduate Studies and have returned home to add value to the education system.
- Provision of a Model Sports Academy at West Itam Secondary School to boost extra-curricular activities in the school.
- For stability in AKSU, Government approved an upward review of the Monthly Subvention and also approved payment of the salary of the 279 staff recruited in 2013.
- Provision of conducive learning environment through constant monitoring of academic activities and the recently approved renovation works at Government Technical Colleges – Abak.
- Donation of 20 pieces of laptops computer and One Million Naira for internet facility to be installed in Government Technical College – Ewet.
- Training of School Inspectors, Education Officers and Principals, on quality assurance and best practices, in education in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Education, UNICEF, UNESCO, etc.
- Training of officers in Examination and Certification Division of the Ministry on ICT and computerization of examination results.
- Accreditation of courses in the state’s tertiary institutions and public technical schools.
- Development of Ibibio Language curriculum.
All this is a testament to the good governance model practiced by the Udom-led administration, which deserves our commendation and support, as it seeks to reposition the state for unparalleled greatness.