Tragedy struck at North Bank, close to Agro Millers in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, when two sisters, aged 10 and 7 lost their lives in a fire incident around 4a.m. on Wednesday.

The cause the fire could not ascertained but one of the eyewitnesses in the area who pleaded anonymity said it could have been from a candle light left in the house.

It was gathered that the two girls were living in the same room with their elder sister of about 16 years, who had left to spend the night with her boyfriend while locking the door with a padlock outside.

The two girls reportedly suffocated to death while sleeping as a result of fumes from the fire, which burnt only their mattress in the house.

According to the source, “I was sleeping when my neighbour woke me up that fire had killed two girls in a house in our neighborhood. The girls and their elder sister have been staying in the same room since they left their village to school in Makurdi.

“But the eldest sister often leave the room at night to her boyfriend’s house and always finds it difficult to quietly sneak into the room when coming back as it always takes several knocks on the door and windows before her younger ones open the door for her.

“But yesterday, she decided to lock the door outside with a padlock around 12midnight and left for her rendezvous with her boyfriend with the aim of coming back early as usual. However, the fire burnt the mattress where the two girls were sleeping. One of them suffocated because of lack of oxygen and died instantly while the other tried to open the door but couldn’t as the door was locked from outside.

“A neighbour who noticed the incessant banging and cries of the girl came and forced the door open but unfortunately found one of the children already dead, while the other one, who was rushed to the hospital died on the way.”

According to the eyewitness, the elder sister returned around 6a.m. only to find her two siblings dead. The deceased bodies have been taken home for burial by the parents.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here