By Umoh-Obong Kingsley
Akwa Ibom State Ministry of Works, on Tuesday, launches its official website at the Ministry’s conference room, Uyo,
The Honourable Commissioner for Works, Mr Ephraim Akparawa Inyang-Eyen, disclosed that a 55.1km Super Highway road project between Esit-Eket and Ibeno which would traverse through the forest to Uya-Oron in Oron Local Government Area is to commence soon.
He explained that the project, which is the first of its kind in the state, is meant to enable the people of the state and investors alike to have access to the seashore where the Ibom Deep Seaport project is to be sited.
Mr. Ephraim Inyang also hinted that government has reactivated the Event Ewang bridge/road project, as it has ordered the contractor to return to site for the purpose of completing the project.
The Commissioner disclosed to newsmen that the super highway road infrastructure project, which has received the nod of Governor Udom Emmanuel, is to be funded through an alternative funding model. Under the arrangement, according to the Commissioner, the contractors will bring their money and fund the project, while the state pays the contractor after a period of 13 months.
He listed some of the new nine key road projects recently approved for construction by the state government to include, 3.5km Ring Road 2, which will link Abak Road through Aka-Nung Udoe and would traverse Oron Road through Nwaniba Road; and Ring Road 3. He explained that Ring Road 4 has been put on hold to allow for the completion of the other two ring roads before it could be considered.
Other road projects that has been approved for construction include, 5km-Jetty Road in Okobo with a spur at the Fish Market in Atabong. Also, Annua-Fish Market, Ikot Ebekpor-Ikot Ebidang Road (In Uyo, Uruan and Onna) have been awarded.
The Works boss listed road intervention projects recently approved to include, Ette Junction Road to Abak, 4km Internal Roads in Obong University, Obong-Ntak, Etim Ekpo, remodelling of Utu Etim Ekpo Roundabout in Etim-Ekpo, construction of Ikot Ada Idem -FULGA-Ediene Ikot Obio Imo Road in Ibiono Ibom.
In fulfillment of the promise he made to the people of Nsit Ubium while reacting to a request by the representative of the area in the legislature and Speaker of the House of Assembly, Barr. Onofiok Luke, during a reception rally held in honour of the Governor and the Speaker, the Works Commissioner announced that Governor Udom has awarded contract for the construction of 13km Ukat Aran-Obio- Ubium -Ikot Ubo road with a spur at Edem Idim Okpot with two bridges.
The government has also included the construction of a 4km Mbiatok-Ekit Itam -Mbiaya Uruan road, 12km, Ikot Akpan Abia -Oboyo Ikot Ita-Eta Eren Nsit road in Nsit Ibom in the list of new road projects to be executed.
Constructions of Nto Edino-Ekwere Azu Road with one Bridge, Walkway and Street Lights (awaarded to Seyang Constructions); Dualisation of Eket-Ibeno Road with 3 Bridges, Walkway and Street Lights (awarded to CCECC Nig. Ltd); 4.6km School of Arts and Science Road, Nung Ukim in Ikono LGA (awarded to Hensek Integrated Services Ltd.); Dualisation of 29km Etinan-Ndon Eyo Road with Spur from Mbioto-Ekpene Ituen-Ikot Akpan Ishiet Junction with 2 cable stay Bridges, Walkway, Parking Lane and Street Lights. Other ongoing, awarded and completed projects can be accessed through the website www.works.akwaibomstate.gov.ng.
Proposed Roads For Construction By The Present Government
- Construction Of 22.0 Km Ring Road 4 (Rr4) -Airport Road – Ibesikpo Asutan Roundabout – Nsit Street In Etinan L.G.A With 75km Bridge.
- Construction Of 18.97km Abak 10-Nko Otoro-Manta Road In Abak L.G.A
- Construction Of 47.5km Abak-Ekparakwa Ete Junction By East West Road In Ikot Abasi.
- Construction Of 55.1km Ibom Super Highway With 3no Spur Roads And 3no Bridges.
- Construction Of 25 No Internal Roads In Uyo And 36 Roads In Eket Metropolis.
- Construction Of 4.0km Nung Atai Eta-Atabong Road With Landing Jetty In Okobo L.G.A
- Construction Of 32km Roads In Ika L.G.A
- Construction Of 4km Internal Roads In Obong University, Etim Ekpo L.G.A
- Construction Of 22.19km Ikot Akpaden-Okoroete-Iko, Okoroete-Irile-Amadaka Kampa Road And Spur In Eastern Obolo L.G.A
- Construction Of 13km Ukat Aran-Obio Ubium-Ikot Ubo Road With Spur-Edem Idim Okpot With 2 No. Bridges.
- Construction Of 13.1km Ibekwe-Ikot Mkpeye-Ikot Unya Road And Bridge In Mkpat Enin L.G.A.
- Construction Of 11.615km Ikot Unya-Ikot Eda-Iffe-Ikot Essien-Ikot Abasi Akpan-Ekpuk Road And Bridge (Section2).
- Construction Of 4km Mbiatok-Ekit Itam-Mbiaya Uruan Road With Spur In Uruan L.G.A.
- Construction Of 12.0km Ikot Akpan Abia-Oboyo Ikot Eta Eta-Eren Nsit Road In Nsit Ibom L.G.A
- Construction Of Ndon Eyo-Ikot Akpatek-Ikwe-Odio Road In Onna L.G.A.
- Remodelling Of Utu Etim Ekpo Roundabout In Etim Ekpo L.G.A.
- Construction Of 8.516km Edem Urua-Ikot Uba-Ituhko-Ono Road In Ibiono Ibom L.G.A.
- Construction Of Ikot Ada Idem-Fulga-Ediene Ikot Obio Imo Road In Ibiono Ibom L.G.A.
The Akwa Ibom State Ministry of Works’ official website (www.works.akwaibomstate.gov.ng) provides a window to the world to know the development strides of Governor Udom Emmanuel in the area of roads infrastructure.